Sunday, July 10, 2016

www.mgmadiganphotography.com

www.michealmadigan.com


...sessions 5 and 6.... progressions


I'll take a moment here to write about  what else happens in the studio while painting.

I play alot of music(guitar, Irish whisles). I sing and chant. I nap periodically in a hammock with one eye on the work, ready to jump to to answer a vision.I scan through photos on the computerwhile waiting for the last process to dry sufficiently...properly... ,to go forward. I make calls, or color balance images in lightroom.

Alot to this process of creating a painting involves keeping one's mind away from intellectualizing,
thinking of the next thing to do. That's not how it works, in here.I set conditions, i see what's next to be done, i apply, or subtract, colors, layers, textures. I watch for the heart of the work to form.I quit
when it's tempting methodical progressions, or when my back hurts, or i'm hungry, or something else
 takes me out of the works voice.


So , here's how todays sessions went.





Now with larger works like this, the days sessions usually are dedicated to the one individual work.
I may keep two or three smaller works in process at one time in other circumstances...but the big ones
take up all my energy in 
the day

No comments:

Post a Comment